Common Materials Warehouse
Customer is designing a common materials supermarket to support replenishment of parts to assembly lines manufacturing 3 series of vehicles (50+ models). Use simulation technology to test different replenishment methods for each of the 5000+ parts stored in the supermarket.
Overall project benefits include:
- Identify the number of docks needed, their location and purpose to support smooth flow of materials in and out of the supermarket.
- Manpower analysis: determine number of human resources needed and the tasks that needs to be performed by them.
- Determine physical storage and staging space needed to minimize bottlenecks and maximize throughput.
Early quantifiable benefits realized through model based input:
- Saved $240,000 by re-assigning tasks to workers across floor.
- Eliminated need for 2 dock doors and reduced trailer processing times by ~200% by relocating door location.